Do you remember the old days when we used Windows Seven as our primary operating system? It was truly a fantastic operating system that many people loved, and still, many people have it installed on their systems. However, with the release of Windows 10, Microsoft discontinued many features that were available in Windows 7, including the beloved Windows Movie Maker.
Windows Movie Maker was a free program that allowed users to create and edit videos, add background music, effects, and transitions. But now, many Windows 7 users are struggling to find a way to download and install Movie Maker on their PCs. The process is a bit complicated since Microsoft has removed the download option for Windows Movie Maker. But don’t worry, we are here to help! In this article, we will show you some effective methods to get Movie Maker on Windows 7.
Things You Should Prepare for?
Before we dive into the methods, there are a few things you should prepare for:
1. The first thing you need to check is whether you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. This is important because Movie Maker is available in two versions, and you need to download the appropriate version based on your system’s capacity. To check your system type, right-click on the "Computer" icon on your desktop and select "Properties." You will see your system type under "System Information."
2. Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for Movie Maker. Movie Maker requires a 1.6 GHz or higher processor, 1 GB of RAM, and a graphics card that supports DirectX 9 or later.
3. Lastly, backup your files before installing Movie Maker. While installing the program, your video editing files may be lost due to several reasons. So, it is better to back up your files to avoid any data loss.
Method 1: Downloading Movie Maker from Archive.org
One effective method to get Movie Maker on Windows 7 is to download it from Archive.org. Archive.org is a digital library that archives digital content, including software, music, movies, and books. Here are the detailed steps for this method:
1. Go to Archive.org and search for "Windows Live Essentials."
2. Scroll down, and you will find the Windows Live Essentials 2012 download option. Click on it.
3. On the next page, you will see a list of programs that are included in Windows Live Essentials. Find "Windows Movie Maker," click on it, and then click on the "Download" button.
4. The download process will begin. Once the download is complete, run the installer and follow the instructions to install Movie Maker on your system.
– Archive.org is a trustworthy source.
– The download is an official version of Movie Maker.
– The download process is straightforward.
– The download may take some time, depending on your internet speed.
– Some users may face difficulty navigating Archive.org.
Method 2: Using the Compatibility Mode
You can also run Movie Maker on Windows 7 by using the Compatibility Mode. Compatibility mode is a feature that allows older programs to run on newer operating systems. Here are the detailed steps for this method:
1. Right-click on the Movie Maker setup file and then select "Properties."
2. Switch to the "Compatibility" tab and select the "Windows 7" option from the drop-down menu.
3. Click on "Apply" and then "OK."
4. Now, run the setup file again, and Movie Maker should install on your system.
– This method does not require any downloads.
– The method is relatively easy and quick to implement.
– This method may not work for everyone, depending on the system configuration.
– Some features of Movie Maker may not work correctly in Compatibility Mode.
Method 3: Using Third-Party Software
If the above methods do not work for you, you can use third-party software to get Movie Maker on Windows 7. Some software packages are designed to provide older versions of Windows applications. Here are the detailed steps for this method:
1. Download and install the third-party software package on your system.
2. Once installed, search for Movie Maker in the software’s library.
3. Download and install Movie Maker from the third-party software package.
4. Follow the installation instructions provided by the software.
– Third-party software packages provide a wide range of older applications.
– This method may work for users who cannot find older applications through other means.
– Not all third-party software packages are trustworthy.
– Some third-party software packages may cost money.
Why Can’t I Get Movie Maker on Windows 7 and Fixes
1. Microsoft Discontinued Movie Maker: Microsoft discontinued Movie Maker in 2017 and removed the download option. However, you can still download and install Movie Maker using the above methods.
2. Incompatibility with Newer Systems: Movie Maker was designed for Windows 7 and may not function correctly on newer operating systems. Use Compatibility Mode or third-party software to ensure compatibility.
3. Insufficient System Requirements: Movie Maker has several system requirements, including a 1.6 GHz or higher processor, 1 GB of RAM, and a graphics card that supports DirectX 9 or later. Ensure your system meets these minimum requirements before attempting to install Movie Maker.
– Always backup your files before installing Movie Maker.
– Use an antivirus program to scan all third-party software packages before installation.
– Always download software from trusted sources like the official websites or Archive.org to avoid malware.
Q1. Is Movie Maker still available for download?
A1. Microsoft discontinued Movie Maker in 2017 and removed the official download option. However, you can still get Movie Maker using the above methods.
Q2. How do I know if my system is compatible with Movie Maker?
A2. Movie Maker requires a 1.6 GHz or higher processor, 1 GB of RAM, and a graphics card that supports DirectX 9 or later. Check your system specifications before downloading and installing Movie Maker.
Q3. Are there any alternatives to Movie Maker?
A3. Yes, there are several alternatives to Movie Maker, including OpenShot and Shotcut.
Q4. Can I use Movie Maker to edit videos in Windows 10?
A4. No, Movie Maker is no longer supported in Windows 10. However, you can use Windows Photos to edit videos in Windows 10.
Q5. Is it safe to use third-party software to get Movie Maker?
A5. Not all third-party software packages are trustworthy. Use caution when downloading and installing software from unofficial sources, and always use antivirus software to scan for malware.
Getting Movie Maker on Windows 7 can be a bit tricky, but it is not impossible. By following the above methods, you can download and install Movie Maker with ease. Remember to always back up your files before installing any third-party applications, and use caution when downloading from unofficial sources. We hope this article helped you to get Movie Maker on your Windows 7 system.