Windows 11 comes with a new user interface that has caught many people’s attention. One of the new features in Windows 11 is the new start menu, which is now in the center of the screen. However, not all users are familiar with how to customize their desktops according to their preferences. Making desktop icons is one of the things that users might want to do after upgrading to Windows 11. If you want to know how to make desktop icons on Windows 11, then this article is for you.
First, you will need to have a Windows 11 operating system installed on your computer. You also need to have a working mouse and keyboard since the process requires using both. Additionally, you should have some knowledge about navigating through your computer’s settings.
What Requires Your Focus?
When making desktop icons on your computer, you should focus on following the instructions and performing each step correctly. You should also focus on selecting the right icons and placing them in the right place to avoid confusion.
Different Methods to Make Desktop Icon Windows 11
Method 1: From the Start Menu
To make a desktop icon from the Start Menu on a Windows 11 computer, follow these steps:
1. Open the Start Menu by clicking on the Start button, which is situated in the center of the screen.
2. Navigate to the app or program you want to create an icon for.
3. Right-click on the app/program’s name.
4. From the menu that appears, select "Pin to Start" or "Pin to Taskbar."
5. Close the Start Menu.
6. Go to your desktop, and you should see the app/program’s icon.
– It is a straightforward method that doesn’t require any additional software.
– It is relatively quick and doesn’t require much effort.
– You can create a desktop icon for any app or program by following this method.
– You may end up with multiple icons for the same app/program.
– The icon may not match your preference.
Method 2: From the File Explorer
To make a desktop icon from the File Explorer on a Windows 11 computer, follow these steps:
1. Open File Explorer by pressing the "Windows key + E" on your keyboard.
2. Navigate to the folder containing the app/program you want to create an icon for.
3. Right-click on the app/program’s icon.
4. From the context menu that appears, select "Create shortcut."
5. Click "Yes" to create a shortcut on your desktop.
6. Close the File Explorer.
– It allows you to select the exact app/program you want to create an icon for.
– You can customize the icon to match your preference.
– It is a longer process compared to Method 1.
– It may be confusing for novice users.
Method 3: Using a Third-Party Software
There is plenty of third-party software that lets you customize your desktop, including creating desktop icons. One popular software is "Desktop Icon Toy." Here are the steps to create a desktop icon using it:
1. Download and install "Desktop Icon Toy" from its official website.
2. Open the software.
3. Click "Add icons…" from the toolbar.
4. Select the app/program you want to create an icon for.
5. Customize the icon’s appearance.
6. Click "Apply."
7. Go to your desktop, and you should see the icon you created.
– You can customize the icon according to your preference.
– It is easy to manage all your desktop icons using the software.
– You need to install additional software on your computer.
– The process can take longer compared to the first two methods.
Why Can’t I Make Desktop Icon Windows 11?
Here are some reasons why you may not be able to make desktop icons on your Windows 11 computer and how to fix them:
1. You have not enabled show desktop icons. To fix it, right-click on the desktop and select "View." Then, click "show desktop icons."
2. Your mouse is malfunctioning. Try restarting your computer or using an external mouse.
3. You have a corrupted user profile. To fix it, create a new user profile and try again.
Implications and Recommendations
Desktop icons are an essential customization feature on Windows 11. They allow you to access your frequently used apps and programs quickly. Therefore, it is crucial to learn how to make desktop icons. Additionally, using a third-party software can help you customize your desktop icons according to your preference.
5 FAQs about Making Desktop Icon Windows 11
Q. How many desktop icons can I create on Windows 11?
A. You can create an unlimited number of desktop icons on Windows 11.
Q. Can I move desktop icons around after creating them?
A. Yes, you can move them around by clicking and dragging them.
Q. Can I change the icon’s image after creating it?
A. Yes, you can right-click on the icon, select "Properties," then "Change Icon."
Q. Can I customize the size of the desktop icons?
A. Yes, you can right-click on the desktop, select "View," then choose the size.
Q. Can I create a desktop icon for a website?
A. Yes, you can create a shortcut for the website on your desktop and use its icon as the shortcut’s icon.
Making desktop icons is an essential customization feature that every Windows 11 user should know how to do. With the above methods, you can now easily create and customize your desktop icons to match your preference. Remember, you can move the icons around and customize them even after creating them. If you encounter any challenges, use the fixes provided in the "Why Can’t I" section. Don’t hesitate to use third-party software if you need more advanced customization options.