Windows 11 has made some major changes in the taskbar, and one of the most visible changes is its size. The new default taskbar size is quite large and can take up a lot of screen real estate. While some users might find it useful, others find it distracting and would prefer a smaller taskbar.
If you belong to the latter group and want to make your taskbar smaller, this post is for you. In this blog, we’ll explore several different methods that will help you reduce the size of the taskbar in Windows 11. We’ll list pros and cons of each method along with additional tips and some FAQs to help you make the most of your taskbar.
Before we begin, here are a few key points to keep in mind when making your taskbar smaller:
1. Changing the size of the taskbar can impact how many icons are shown, and how much space is available for pinned taskbar items.
2. Reducing the taskbar size can create a more streamlined look and provide more screen real estate.
3. Making the taskbar too small can reduce functionality, making it difficult to click on icons and use other taskbar features.
Method 1: Taskbar Settings
The first method we will explore involves changing the taskbar settings. This is the easiest and quickest method to make taskbar smaller in Windows 11.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Right-click anywhere on the taskbar.
2. Select “Taskbar settings” from the context menu that appears.
3. In the Taskbar settings window, scroll down to find “Taskbar alignment”.
4. Toggle “Taskbar alignment” to “Left”, “Top” or “Right”.
5. Scroll back up to find “Taskbar behaviors” and toggle “Use smaller taskbar buttons” to “On”.
6. Finally, in the “Taskbar size” section, move the slider to the left to make the taskbar smaller.
That’s it! Your taskbar size should now be smaller.
– This method is quick and easy to perform.
– It does not require any third-party software or tools.
– You can only reduce the size of the taskbar to a certain limit.
– Reducing the size too much can make it difficult to click on icons on the taskbar.
Method 2: Registry Editor
The second method we will explore requires using the Registry Editor. Please note that this method involves altering the Windows Registry, which can be risky if not done correctly. Therefore, it is recommended that you create a backup of the Registry before proceeding.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Press “Windows Key + R” to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type “regedit” and press Enter.
3. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
4. Right-click somewhere on the right, select “New” and then click “DWORD (32-bit) Value.”
5. Name the new DWORD value “TaskbarSi” (without quotes).
6. Double-click on the newly created key and set its value to between 0 and 2, depending on how small you want your taskbar to be. 0 is the smallest, while 2 is the largest.
7. Restart Windows Explorer or simply restart your computer for changes to take effect.
After following these steps, your taskbar will be resized to the value you entered in step 6.
– This method offers greater control over the size of the taskbar.
– You can resize the taskbar to any desired size.
– Editing the Registry can be risky and is not recommended for novice users.
– Making a mistake can result in severe system problems.
Method 3: Third-Party Tools
The third method we’ll explore involves using a third-party tool. There are several tools available that allow you to resize the taskbar in Windows 11. In this post, we’ll use Falcon10 as an example.
Here are the steps to follow:
1. Download Falcon10 from its official website.
2. Once downloaded, extract the contents and run the executable file.
3. In the Falcon10 window, use the slider to change the taskbar size.
4. Click “OK” to save your changes.
That’s it! The taskbar size should now be smaller.
– This method offers more features and control over taskbar customization.
– Third-party tools such as Falcon10 are user-friendly and easy to use.
– Depending on the tool, this method may require installation or payment.
– The use of third-party tools can potentially pose a security risk.
Why Can’t I Make the Taskbar Smaller?
If you’ve tried to resize the taskbar in Windows 11 and it’s still too large, there could be several reasons why. Here are some common reasons and how to fix them:
1. The taskbar is locked: To unlock the taskbar, right-click on it, and make sure “Lock the taskbar” is unchecked.
2. The taskbar is on the wrong edge: To move the taskbar to a different edge, right-click on it, select “Taskbar settings”, and choose a different taskbar alignment.
3. Windows 11 update not installed: Make sure that you have the latest update for Windows 11 installed to avoid any compatibility issues.
Here are a few additional tips to help you make the most of your taskbar:
– Use keyboard shortcuts to launch applications instead of relying on the taskbar icons. This can free up space on the taskbar.
– Pin only the most frequently used apps to the taskbar.
– Hide the taskbar when it is not in use to maximize screen real estate.
Q: How do I make my taskbar icons smaller?
A: The taskbar icons can be made smaller by following the same steps as method 1 and enabling “Use smaller taskbar buttons”.
Q: Can I set the taskbar size to a specific dimension?
A: Yes, by using Method 2 and changing the registry key value.
Q: Is it possible to make the taskbar entirely transparent?
A: Yes, this can be done by following Method 3 and using a third-party tool like Falcon10 that offers transparency control.
Q: Can I use a different color scheme for my taskbar?
A: Yes, this can be done in the Personalization settings in Windows 11.
Q: Will making the taskbar smaller affect its functionality?
A: It depends on how small you make it. If the taskbar is reduced too much, it may become difficult to click on icons or use other taskbar features.
Windows 11 has made several visual changes, and one such change is a larger taskbar size. While it works well for some users, others prefer a smaller taskbar for more screen real estate and a streamlined look. We hope these tried and tested methods help you make your taskbar smaller and more manageable.